Getting to sleep is something that many find difficult both initially getting to sleep and if woken throughout the night. It is something that can have a significant impact on our wellbeing as sleep allows our bodies to repair themselves and our brains to consolidate our memories and process information. One way which has been proven to help you get to sleep within minutes is the 4-7-8 breathing method. It consists of a breathing pattern that relaxes the nervous system that can be used anytime you feel anxious or stressed.
Here are the steps:
- Place the tip of your tongue behind your upper front teeth
- Exhale completely through your mouth and make a whoosh sound
- Close your mouth and inhale through your nose while mentally counting to four
- Hold your breath and mentally count to seven
- Open your mouth and exhale completely, making a whoosh sound and mentally counting to eight
- Repeat this cycle at least four times
Follow Lindengate on Facebook for regular updates about Lindengate@Home!